Re: System.map

* Philipp Schulte <p.schulte@matrix.uni-duisburg.de> [181100 19:25]:
> On Fri, Nov 17, 2000 at 10:48:29AM -0600, Jason Holland wrote:
>
> > You can recreate your System.map by running make install in /usr/src/linux,
> > or wherever your kernel source is that you recently recompiled.
>
> Sure he can recreate it this way but he still needs to copy it to the
> right place.
> #cp /usr/src/linux/System.map /boot/System.map-your.kernel (same as
> vmlinuz-your.kernel)

Just kinda curious...how important is it to place the new System.map file (created when you compiled a new kernel) in the /boot directory?  I have compiled a number of kernels and, after looking at this discussion, I checked my /boot directory to see if I had moved my System.map file after the last compile.  I have not.

I have noticed no ill effects.

What potential problems am I opening myself up to here?

rob jacobs <r.a.jacobs>
~no witty sig required~