screensaver/dpms

I had posted this quetion a week ago and got the response:
	man xset
This does not appear to do what I require.

How do I turn off the screensaver and/or dpms by default for all users.
Also wish both to be off while users are logged out to the xdm login screen.
The command xset reverts to defaults when the user logs out, so will not
work. I searched the internet, and through my /etc directory with no solution
yet. For some reason my system sometimes locks when the screen saver starts,
so it needs to be off. Just don't like the dpms on.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin