Re: REcompiling the kernel on non root partition.

On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 01:27:49PM +1100, Kieren Diment wrote:
>  Due to lack of disk space I am having trouble recompiling my kernel.
>  my system lives on hda2, and I want to use my redundant vfat partition
>  on hda1 to recompile the kernel
>  When I
>  tar -x -f kernel-source-2.2.17.tar
>
>  I get the following error:
>
>  tar: kernel-source-2.2.17/include/asm: Cannot create symlink to
>  `asm-i386': Oper ation not permitted tar: Error exit delayed from
>  previous errors
>
>  then when make menuconfig, I get the following errors.
>
>  rm -f include/asm
>  ( cd include ; ln -sf asm-i386 asm)
>  ln: cannot create symbolic link `asm' to `asm-i386': Operation not permitted
>  mAke: *** [symlinks] Error 1

the kernel must be compiled on a unix compatible filesystem such as
ext2, ufs etc.  FAT is a exceedingly crippled and broken filesystem it
simply won't do.

>  Is there a simple work around for this?

mk2e2fs /dev/hdaX where X is your FAT partition.  this will erase it
and create a real filesystem on it.

your only other option is to try umsdos, but that is rather buggy and
unsupported.  you need umsdos support in your existing kernel or a
module which you may or may not have (probably not)

mount -t umsdos /dev/hdaX /mnt

since you say the partition is redundant i read that as being there is
little to know data of relevance and you should back it up and
reformat it to ext2fs.

note if you do reformat it to ext2fs you might want to use fdisk to
change that partition's type to 83 in case you still have a windows or
dos partition anywhere.  otherwise windows will think the partition is
supposed to be FAT and might trash it.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/