Re: Quick way to tell if online for use in cron script?

"Damian" == Damian Menscher <menscher@uiuc.edu> writes:

> On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, Willy Lee wrote:
>> I wanted to run 'ntpdate' periodically via a cron script.  However,

> Given that you're trying to see if you can access xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> how about using ping?  That will protect you in the case you're
> dialed up but the ntp server is unreachable for some reason, too.

Hm, I guess that will work for the cron script.  For some reason I
never thought of that.  As long as I use the '-c' option...

Hm, how do programs like 'gkrellm' monitor network status and packet
traffic?  I always assumed there was some easy way to do it.

=wl

--
Albert ``Willy'' Lee, Emacs user, game programmer
"They call me CRAZY - just because I DARE to DREAM of a RACE of