New to debian, q about pkgs "on hold"

I try to run apt-get upgrade once a week.  I'm just pulling stuff from the
potato dist, because I have no real need for bleeding-edge stuff.  Anyway,
for the past couple of weeks, I've been getting this message from apt-get:

chester:/home/steve# apt-get upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages have been kept back
  gedit gimp1.1 gimp1.1-perl gnumeric libgimp1.1 sawfish sawfish-gnome
  task-helix-gnome
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 8 not upgraded.

What does this mean... "packages have been kept back"?  Is this a Good/Bad
Thing (TM)?  Since I use helix-gnome with sawfish, I would like to have the
most up-to-date stable versions.  How do I make apt-get fetch these
packages?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Stephen W. Juranich                         sjuranic@ee.washington.edu
Electrical Engineering         http://students.washington.edu/sjuranic