Re: To setup display for NeoMagic 256XL on Sony VAIO PCG-XG29

jimmy sandhar wrote:
> Hi all,
> Does anybody know or have done this before, setting up display for Sony VAIO
> PCG-XG29. Please let me know if so.
> Thanks and Regards,
> Uday

I also have a PCG-XG29. All you should need to do is have the latest
X from unstable installed and to set the video driver to "neomagic"

The latest X from unstable will run in 800x600 for this card, but
segfaults trying 1024x768 (the NM2380 code is fairly new I think, so
this is probably a temporary issue).

Be careful with the interrupts (or maybe I should say, "the interrupt")
on this machine. I can reliably lock the machine by having a PCMCIA
card plugged in with cardmgr running and then trying to run X (kernel
2.4.0-test10 and pcmcia-cs Oct31). (the video card, USB, firewire,
modem, cardbus bridge, audio controller, and some others all use IRQ 9
on mine) David Hinds, the pcmcia-cs maintainer, suggested to me that it
might be a framebuffer driver issue. For now just remember to turn off
as many devices you can that use the shared IRQ for 2.4.0-test10. In my
case, turning off pcmcia and removing my card(s) before running X
worked. And how nice it is to see X on a laptop. :)

I think that with a 2.2.x kernel I had a bit more luck running both at
the same time, but it would still lock occasionally.

So far (all 24 hours or so), 800x600 has run well for me.

HTH,
--
Mike Brownlow                            http://wsmake.org/~mike/
1024D/8AA6EAFD 3861 96B3 EEA2 285C BE23  F706 3E1E EBB2 8AA6 EAFD