Re: XFree 4.0.1 and Quake

> I'm having problems with XFree 4.0.1, NVidia drivers (I have a TNT2
> Elsa Erazor III, not available in the XF86Config), and Quake III.  Quake
> 3 runs fine until I try to start a game.  It load game media and all
> that other stuff, but as soon as I go into the real game it dumps me
> with a GLX error.  I compiled the garbage myself and had to do a little
> editing (comment out the modversions.h because it isn't in kernel
> 2.2.17), and after I did that it ran everything fine.  In fact,
> everything seems to run fine except for quake III ( and a little bit of
> X with the window managers and the screensavers not working.)  Anyone
> know anything about this or had something like it happen to them?

Set word wrap on your MUA to 75 or so.

Which GLX are you trying to use?  Utah-GLX is for 3.3.6 servers.  The
GLX stuff included with XFree86 4.0.1 isn't for NVIDIA cards.  If you're
using the NVIDIA supplied drivers, be sure you follow their directions for
a tarball installation.  This includes removing/renaming the
software-rendering libs.

modversions.h is created when you compile a kernel.  Obtain, install, and
compile your kernel.  I suggest 2.4.0-test10 because It Works For Me And
Many Others Very Nicely(tm).  But if you're too chicken-shit to use a test
kernel then stick with the 2.2 series.  Like I said, compile a kernel.  It
puts hair on your chest.  Once you do this, go back and
recompile/reinstall the NVIDIA kernel driver.  EMail the list back if all
this doesn't work.

>       Brandt Dusthimer

		Ian Ehrenwald