Re: Off Topic Apache-logging question

On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 11:38:43PM +0000, Jeff Green wrote:
> If anyone is on an Apache list that this seems appropriate to please
> forward it there or reply to me with the list name, I do not know of
> one.
>
> In my Apache log files with Referrer and User-Agent turned on a
> significant proportion (around 25%) of the referer logs appear as "-".
> Can anyone tell me what causes this? I need to know whether these are
> likely to follow the same pattern as completed references or if there is
> a particular reason that skews the data. They are easily the largest
> group of referers and misinterpreting them could cause us to make some
> very serious errors.

It means the client didn't provide a 'Referer' header.

That could either be that they navigated directly (or from bookmarks) or
that their client doesn't feel like telling you that information (or that
they have something between them and you that strips it).

--
CueCat decoder .signature by Larry Wall:
#!/usr/bin/perl -n