Re: Compiled debs are upgraded

    Joachim> Same here with gmc -- after an 'apt-get --compile source
    Joachim> gmc' another 'apt-get upgrade' will replace my newly
    Joachim> compiled package with the same version.

I guess (from my experience) that if the version number of the
upstream package is the same is the installed version, then apt must
check something else instead (perhaps the installed-size and/or
MD5SUM?).  If this differs, then the package is re-installed.

This is often what I want, eg. if I modify a package to fix a minor
bug, and upload it to master, but forget to install the latest version
myself.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>