HELP:woody:lost X completely: no default font 'fixed'.....

just made an update just in case the problem solved from itself...
its getting worse......

the server stops with:
 Fatal server error:
 could not open default font 'fixed'

just above i have the mesg:
Warning: 'fonts.dir' not found (or not valid) in
"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc".
Entry deleted from font path.
(Run 'mkfontdir' on "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc").

unfortunately i do not seem to have the program mkfontdir ...
in wich package should it be?
houps yeah apt-cache search is your friend..... found it in package
xutils.....

shouldn't this package be installed by default?
it solved also my previous problem with the xmodmap.....

I think that's a bug and a missing dependence somewhere...

--
ciao bboett
bboett@earthling.net