Re: Compiled debs are upgraded

On Mon, Nov 06, 2000 at 03:07:15PM -0800, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> On 06-Nov-2000 Bruce Richardson wrote:
> > If I compile a deb-src package and install it, "apt-get upgrade" will
> > over-write it with the precompiled version unless I mark my hand-rolled
> > package as "hold".  What am I doing wrong?
> >

> nothing.  you install version 1.1, there is a 1.2, it should replace 1.1.  If
> this is not what you want, you place the package on hold.  Seems you have that
> part working already.

No, it's replacing my compiled 1.1 with the precompiled 1.1.  I do
apt-get source tin, and it gives me the up-to-date Potato Tin (1.4.1-1).
I compile it with my own settings (i.e. nntp only) and install it.  Then
apt-get upgrade (or dselect upgrade) tries to replace it with the
precompiled 1.4.1-1, despite the fact that it acknowleges my compiled
version to be current.  If I didn't have Tin on hold it would be
over-written with the exact same version only not compiled how I want.

It did it to me yesterday with ftape-utils.  I did "apt-get source
ftape-utils", get the most recent ftape-tools deb-src, compile it,
install it.  A few hours later I use dselect to install something else
and off it goes and overwrites my hand-rolled ftape-utils with the
precompiled version.

Madness and not what I want.  It's not just doing it on my home machine
(installed from what *might* be a dodgy CD set, I suppose) but from my
work machine which I installed entirely over the internet.

--
Bruce

I see a mouse.  Where?  There, on the stair.  And its clumsy wooden
footwear makes it easy to trap and kill.
		-- Harry Hill