Re: new and needing help

brent morrison wrote:

hello who ever reads this

im new at linux and i have a 8.4 gig hd with mandrake on it now i was in tulsa OKlahoma not to long ago (my homw town basically) and went to a ham raido fest where i saw a demo of debian linux and we all got free cd roms with linux on it well i have no idea how to portion my hd out in 2 and how to install and setup linux please tell me what to do wont have it untill nov 22 but need the help as soon as possible
Brent

Which version of Debian GNU/Linux?

I'm not sure what you mean by "portion my hd out in 2". I suspect you mean that you want to keep Mandrake, and install Debian on another partition.

Do you have any free, unpartitioned space on your hard drive, or is it all partitioned already and given to Mandrake? If the former, just install Debian to the unallocated partition space; if the latter, you'll have to do some file manipulation to move/copy/delete stuff to make room for Debian. Such a process is too complicated to even begin discussing without more details as to your current setup.

Of course, the easiest would be if you didn't want to keep Mandrake or any data/apps on that setup, but it sounds like you want to have both.