XFree 4 and S3 Vortex4 chipset

I have a Diamond Stealth III video card which has an S3 Vortex4 chipset.
I know that this chipset is not explicitly supported in XFree86 4.0.1,
but the S3 ViRGE and Trio3D cards are supported. Does anyone here happen
to know if the S3 Vortex4 is sufficiently backward compatible that I can
get away with using the ViRGE or Trio3D XFree4.0.1 drivers?

I know that I'm not going to get any kind of 3D acceleration (I don't
have any now, either) but there are other reasons to want to use X4,
right?

(Mostly I just don't want to get left behind and stuck with an obsolete
X subsystem that isn't getting bugfixes... I know this isn't happening
yet, but it's bound to eventually...)

Thanks in advance,
Stuart.