Re: apt-get problem

On Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 08:53:48PM -0700, Sean wrote:
> hi folks,
>
> i am a new debian user.  fresh install potato.  i
> built my own kernel_image.  after that, everytime when
> i fire apt-get update/upgrade, it prompt me for
> upgrading kernel_image ...
>
> how can i keep an "old" package (in this case is the
> kernel_image) from not upgrading?

There are two ways to do this.

1.  Go into dselect, position the cursor on the kernel-image-2.2.17
line and type "=".  This puts that package on hold so neither apt-get
nor dselect will try to upgrade it.

2.  Recompile using an epoch:

make-kpkg --revision=3:custom.1.0 kernel_image

The Debian kernel-image-2.2.17 package was created with an epoch of 1,
which is why this is happening.  /usr/doc/kernel-package/README.gz has
a discussion of this.

Actually there is a third way using 'dpkg --set-selections' but that
should probably be avoided by a new user

--
Bob Nielsen, N7XY                          nielsen@oz.net
Bainbridge Island, WA                      http://www.oz.net/~nielsen