Re: New to Debian, boot problems

Quoting Willy Lee (willy2@jps.net):
> I'm new to Debian, used to use RedHat.  I installed Debian potato (CD
> from LSL) along with a new hard drive (installed as 2nd (slave) IDE)
> recently, and I made the mistake of placing all of Debian, including
> the root partition, on the 2nd drive.  Now, unfortunately, LILO won't
> boot to the slave drive.  I have to boot from the boot floppy I
> thankfully didn't skip making during the install.
>
> I would strongly prefer to be able to boot from the hard drive, using
> LILO to manage booting Debian and a legacy OS.  I would prefer to not
> reinstall from the CDs, since I would rather not have to configure
> pnp, X, etc. again.
>
> The only other idea I have is to make an ext2 partition on hda, make
> it bootable, copy all the files that would be in a root partition
> over, then make lilo boot from there.  I already have ext2 partitions
> on hda, left over from a RedHat install.  My Debian install on hdb
> consists of /, /usr, and /home partitions.

Only a few files have to be accessible to lilo, and I think they're
all in /boot (as long as you install your kernel there too).

There's no reason why /boot can't be a symlink to anywhere accessible
on hda (<= 1023 cylinders), even if it's not an ext2 partition
(which you happen to have). What *is* important is that you rerun lilo
if you move any of these critical files (e.g. if they were in a DOS
partition which you defragged).

Cheers,