Re: Shutdown as normal user

On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 03:35:21PM +0200, J?rg wrote:
> Hi
>
> 'gshutdown' so that a normal user can run it, too? I tried to set it
> suid root, but this caused the problem, that root is not allowed to
> display his windows on a user's screen (any idea how to change this,
> too?).

    Unless you're running a root shell, that should never be a problem, SUID
or not. If you've su'd to root, or rlogin localhost, or whatever, just set the
display to your local X server.

export DISPLAY=:0.0

    And give localhost the permission to connect to your xserver. In a shell
where you're logged in as yourself, type

    xhost +localhost

    or

    xhost + if you want to give global access.

    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@storm.ca>
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to UNIX