Re: network is unreachable!

On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 03:24:39PM +0100, Bob wrote:
> Hello, hope you are well!
>
> I have a problem with a debian GNU / Linux 2.2 (potato). I tells me that
> network is unreachable, whatever I do.
> When I installed debian, I could not load the ne module (on io=0x280 irq=5).
>
> I only have lo interface loaded, so I follow these steps:
>
>     modprobe ne io=0x280 irq=5                 # load the network card
> module
>
>     ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1 up                   # load ethernet interface
> with ip address (for home LAN!)
>
>     I edit the /et/hosts.conf file and add local addresses, take a look a
> route and it looks just like my other debian 2.2 "potato", that DOES work!
>
>     I ping from one to another (and viceversa) and I get a reply both ways!
>
>     But when I try to FTP or Telnet (from the non working PC) I get the
> message:
>         "network is unreachable"
>
>     And if I FTP or Telnet (from the working machine to the bad one) I get
> the message :
>         "conection refused"
>

>     What could be wrong ?
>     Have I missed something out?
>

>     Any sugestions will be very (very) appreciated!

now you need to tell it where packes designed for this address should go,
and where packets for that address should go.

you could continue to do it by hand, or...

<mantra of the month>
	tweak /etc/network/interfaces to match your arrangement/connections
	apt-get install ipmasq
	ipmasq -v
</mantra>

very easy. (leave off the -v is you're not curious what routes and interfaces
and firewalls are being set up.)

--

aside to debian web/documentation folks:

note how many people are running into the same situation but
NOT FINDING the solution? it's because the package descriptions are
skewed to technically correct text, not to helping someone who doesn't
know the terminology!  ipmasq description includes
	By default, this package configures the system as a basic forwarding
	firewall, with IP spoofing and stuffed routing protection.
which is accurate and should be included -- but it doesn't help the
newbie find the best, most convenient way to connect to the internet.

why not add an intro paragraph for each module that will help a
nebie find it, if it's pertinent to her goals?
	Got a home LAN? Want to share your office linux net connection
	with other computers at work? Or maybe you just wanna connect to
	the 'net with your own solo linux machine? IPMASQ can help.
	Connect your small intranet, at home or at the office, to the
	big bad internet, safely and conveniently.
if folks don't know to search for "masquerade" they won't find it and
i'll hafta type in
	apt-get install ipmasq
	ipmasq -v
again and again, every week...