disk error "no DRQ after issuing WRITE"

Hi Everyone,

I have just installed Potato on an old P233. I put it
on a new 17GB
UDMA drive (Seagate), which the bios does not
recognize
correctly. It works fine with kernel 2.2.17, but I get
the folloing
message from time to time:

hda: status timeout: state=0xd0 { Busy }
hda: no DRQ after issuing WRITE
ide0: reset: success

normally when I am doing some intensive disk access
(like
updatedb, for example). If I boot from a floppy with
kernel 2.0.36,
this does not happen.

Any information at all would be helpful, but my
specific question is this
- Is this a problem with the 2.2.17 kernel, working
with an old
bios/motherboard (I also installed the 2.2.17 kernel
patched for UDMA
disks, but this has not helped...)? Is this some type
of disk failure that
the 2.0.36 kernel does not report, but that the new
kernel does? Is there
a way to deal with this in software, or should I think
about returning the
hard drive?

Many Thanks,

JP