Re: weird telnet/dns behaviour on woody

> When I attempt to telnet from
> either of these two boxes to any other on my network, and I enter a
> non-fully-qualified domain name, diald brings up the line before the
> telnet succeeds. If I enter the fully qualified domain name, the telnet
> works immediately.

Interesting.  I get the same behavior on my home network with a twist.  I have
a separate woody web server.  If I use Netscape on my woody workstation and
just use the hostname for the server I get trafic on the modem to the outside,
with a consequent delay in accessing pages.  The FQDN lets me get straight
into the web server locally, with no external traffic.

I'll be interested to hear the answer on this one.

--
David
mailto:david@colossus.apana.org.au

"Ich fuhle, Luft von anderen Planeten"

Note:  No Microsoft programs were used in the
creation or distribution of this message.
If you are using a Microsoft program to view this message,
be forewarned that I am not responsible
for any harm you may encounter as a result.