Re: xdvi always generates the fonts

|> I'm using debian 2.2 and when I start xdvi it always generates the
|> fonts (although I looked at the file for many times and the fonts
|> should be there...). Could that be a
|> not-enough-rights-for-the-user-thing?

Did you try running the `allneeded' script? This script takes a
directory-tree as argument, it searches the tree for .dvi files and
runs dvips on them (with output sent to /dev/null). The interesting
consequence of this is that dvips calls MakeTeXPK to create the needed
fonts and all the .dvi files currently on your system should then be
processable without the need to call Metafont again.  Unless you
frequently create documents with a lot of new fonts (and most people
don't), this might speed things up.

I suppose you'd also want to run texhash (as root) afterwards (unless
it's already set up as a cron job on your system),

Jim