Re: How widely is Debian used for production?

On Sat, Sep 23, 2000 at 17:27:02 +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> Cistron Internet and Cistron Telecom in the Netherlands run on Debian
> only. All servers, databases, webserver, mail, even Telecom billing run on
> Debian and open source databases.

Unfortunately, as we also do some consultancy, I've had the misfortune to
have to deal with Oracle's installer, which happily coredumps when e.g. one
of its thirty or so environment variables isn't set, or when the IP number
of its host had changed. *brrr*

I'm sure there are application areas for which a free RDBMS like PostgreSQL
isn't scalabale or mature enough yet, but I'm happy to say it performs fine
for our Telecom billing system (which isn't exactly small).

Ray
--
LEADERSHIP  A form of self-preservation exhibited by people with auto-
destructive imaginations in order to ensure that when it comes to the crunch