Re: your mail AKA @home, NICs and windows

Hmmmmm...

They may be using MAC in Canada.  Call Tech to inform that your NIC broke
and you installed a new NIC.  Heck, what do they know.  Tell them to update
database to activate your connection.

(Use Windows machine behind your Linux machine using ipmasq! Nothing to
lose.  Their contract prohibit extension of connection beyond your premis
only.  IPMASQ is LEGAL according to the contract.)

BTW, I use @home in California.  They may be different from Canada but...

First I did not use @home provided NIC since my PC had Tulip NIC given
by my past ADSL connection.  It is working.  If you ask @HOME tech to
install first PC, you will be assigned as DHCP client though you are
connected at fixed IP here. Official @HOME policy here is "first PC
connection by DHCP" and "additional ones by FIXED IP".

Best place to look at is your WORK ORDER.  CIP is your IP, DGA is gateway IP,
HST is host name, SUB is your subnetwork, etc.  If you want to
connect to the network by DHCP, I heard PUMP configuration with proper host
name is needed.  If you set up with Fixed IP like me, plug ipchain to shut
up loging for stupid incoming DHCP packet.

As far as I remember, installation tech did not check MAC nor serial number
of NIC he gave me.  (Kept in my junk box safely)  He was handling ISA and
PCI NIC and did not even bother to record type either.

I have good luck of using Linksys PCI or Kingston PCI (with Tulip driver).

Good luck configuring Linux for ipmasq.  @HOME here scans NNTP port for
detecting customer running server.  Be sure to plug these connection for
preventing trouble.  I also get at least few suspicious trials of connections
to the ports (ftp, http, sunrpc, linuxconf, etc.) from script-kiddies.

FYI:  My configuration example for ipmasq is on my web page.

http://www.aokiconsulting.com
Osamu Aoki