Re: junkbuster user-agent defaults to Mozilla 3.0 for Macintosh

On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 06:50:45PM -0700, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> Mind you, this also tells (clueful) webmasters something.  Logs from one
> quasi-technical site show recent versions of IE well in the lead (35%),
> with the next most-commonly used single browser configuration being, you
> guessed it, Mozilla/3.01Gold (Macintosh; I; 68K) -- currently hovering
> around 2-3%.  More than twice the registered Netscape usage.
>
> It's a small statement, but monitoring this configuration is going to
> give some indication of trends in privacy-fortifying software.

True, although junkbusters mention that they change the default User-Agent
every now and then to prevent being identified. From their FAQ:

"Earlier versions of the Internet Junkbuster indicated different details; by
altering them periodically we aim to hinder anyone trying to infer whether our
proxy is present."

It seems to have been Mozilla/3.01Gold (Macintosh; I; 68K) for a while now -
maybe it is time for a version 4 browser ;)

--
caffeine at mindrape dot org    http://www.mindrape.org/caffeine/
1024D/448354FA 3329 C287 FE9F 3BFE FED1  1F10 DE05 1767 4483 54FA