Re: kernel-image-2.2.17 overrides local kernel?

See /usr/share/doc/kernel-package/README.gz.

To make a long story short, you can use an epoch to compile your custom
version by doing something like:

make-kpkg --revision=3:custom.1.0 kernel_image

I suspect the reason for the epoch in the Debian package of
kernel-image-2.2.17 is to allow the final version to replace the pre-
version (which ordinarily doesn't appear in a Debian package, but this
was a special case because of problems with the 2.2.16 kernel).

Bob