[OT] Switching kernels without reboot (continued) (was: Re: Debian vs. Red Hat)

I've not been at the OLSymposium but I did remember reading this about
Werner Almesberger:

http://www.ottawalinuxsymposium.org/2000/booting.html:

"Booting Linux: The History and the Future
The IA-32 Linux boot process has since 1991 evolved from using boot
floppy to Shoelace and now LILO. We will discuss the history of the boot
process and some of the features intended for the future. We will cover
new features such as the ability to launch a new Linux kernel within
Linux without resetting the system as well as numerous other new features
to enhance the IA-32 boot process. We will also cover some commonly
misunderstood current features including initrd and "big" image support.

Werner Almesberger, Ph.D.
Werner received his master's in Computer Science from ETH Zurich in 1992.
>From 1993 to 1994 he developed ATM switch control software at the IBM
Zurich Research Lab. He completed his Ph.D. in Communication Systems at
EPFL (Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne) in 1999.
He became addicted to Linux with kernel version 0.12 in 1992, and quickly
became involved in very interesting kernel work including; file systems,
device drivers, and the LILO bootloader. His ongoing involvement
includes; the LILO bootloader, the psmisc tools, ATM and Differentiated
Services on Linux, as well as a bit of hacking on the Linux-7110 project
bringing Linux to PDA such as the Psion palmtop."

There is also a link to his (Institute ?) website: http://icawww.epfl.ch/
and his own page is at: http://ica1www.epfl.ch/~almesber/
There he has his ToDo list (http://icawww1.epfl.ch/~almesber/todo.html),
of which one of the items is:

"write code to boot Linux kernel from within Linux (2-4 days)
Well, this was an optimistic estimate. It's now more like 1-2 weeks, after
getting the hairy struff done."

This seems pretty fast to me, anyway. I hope he'll get around to do it
soon. ;)

See ya,
	Leen Besselink.