Re: /etc/rc?.d question

On Mon, Sep 11, 2000 at 11:19:23PM +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

> >I uncommented the debug line in /etc/init.d/rc and noticed that
> >all scrips in rc6.d / rc0.d were called with "stop" on shutdown
> >_regardless of prefix_. Now I'm totally confused.
>
> Why don't you simply read the documentation?
>
> There is a README in /etc/init.d for a reason, you know ..

I fully understand that you as the Grand Master of the Debian init system
might be annoyed by such a question, but why reply, then?

That said, I usually appreciate RTFM pointers - in this case however I have
read the FM in question. (policy manual, sec 3.3)

All I could find was that "update-rc.d" by default stops stuff in 0/6,
= creates a K* symlink. (That it does...)

However, this does not explain why all the _existing_ S??something scripts
in 0/6 are called with stop. (The manual states repeatedly that S* scripts
will be called with start.)

I'd be grateful if you could take the time to clarify this - a pointer'd
do nicely.

Regards

Christian