Re: LILO: Warning: /dev/sda is not on the first disk

On Sat, Sep 09, 2000 at 02:48:02PM -0400, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:
> Can anybody shed some light on the error message above?  I get it whenever
> I run LILO now, and the system won't boot from the hard drive.  The only
> change to this system was a new network card (there are now 2) and the new
> kernel.  The kernel works fine, as I have installed LILO on a floppy and
> can boot with no trouble.
>
> Here are some details:
> SCSI controller ID is 7
> sda SCSI id 0
> all other SCSI disks disabled as part of my debugging
>
> hda is an IDE HD, no bootable partitions
> hdb is an IDE CDROM
>
> so...what is the "first disk"?  The system used to boot from /dev/sda just
> fine, and the problem really seems to have something to do with the second
> network card I added.

The BIOS (which LILO uses to load the kernel) numbers disks as 0x80 for
the first drive and 0x81 for the second.

The catch with a mixed scsi/ide setup is that the "SCSI BIOS" inserts
itself into the call chain and fondles those numbers (usually) so that
the SCSI drive is the first drive from the BIOS perspective, even if
Linux can't see it.

So you have to convince LILO of two things:
  1) it should write the boot loader to the SCSI drive
  2) it should ask the BIOS to load from device 0x80 (which should be
     the scsi drive).

You do this in lilo.conf:

disk = /dev/sda
   bios = 0x80

--
Brian Moore                       | Of course vi is God's editor.
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     | If He used Emacs, He'd still be waiting