Re: vim + printing = wretched output

William Jensen wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 08:36:10AM -0700, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 09:30:43AM -0500, William Jensen (jensenb@charter.net) wrote:
> > > Hey guys, has anyone run into bad printing with vim?
> > >
> > > I spend a few hours editing some notes for class and when I lpt <file> the
> > > spacing was terrible.  It's like more/less/lpr treat the
---
> My tab stop is set to 3 (for coding).  Indenting 8 spaces per tab in code
> is just wasteful.  Anything I can do to get around this?

Bill

Vim supports several options to munge tabs in various ways.  One is
"expandtab", which will replace each TAB character with the number of
spaces defined by "tabstop".  But this replaces the TAB, which may not
be what some people want.

See also "softtabstop", which will "simulate" a tabstop setting without
actually changing tabstop itself, using a combination of spaces and tabs
to generate the indentation.  For instance, if "set softtabstop=4" is
used (with tabstop=8), the first indent is 4 spaces, the second a tab,
the third a tab and 4 spaces, etc.

In both cases, a printout should look the same as what you see in the
editor.

I hope some of this is useful to you.

--
Bob McGowan