Re: any luck with ES1869 sound card?

You have to recompile the kernel with sound enabled as a module (if you're using idepci
kernel--the full-blown version might have it in already) and use the sb (soundblaster)
module.  A list of the modules I have working says :
sb
uart401
sound
soundlow
soundcore

Use sndconfig to set it up--it's pretty easy, just pick a card and tell it what settings
(irq, ioport, dma).  After that, all the users you want to have access to sound you have
to add to the audio group.