Re: Linux crashed a lot - more info

John Reinke wrote:

> Yet another problem I've had that you reminded me of - the CPU fan will
> occasionally speed up and slow down. I've seen it stop almost completely,
> too. Sometimes, it makes a nasty rattling sound, but it seems to be
> attached well enough to the CPU that it shouldn't fall off. I've seen that
> the BIOS knows what speed the CPU fan is turning - is that how the fan can
> affect the computer? I've never seen the CPU get too hot.

What motherboard do you have?  Some motherboards come with monitoring
software that runs under Windows to let you know the temperature in a
couple of places.  If you have that, and can stand to run Windows for a
while, maybe it would tell you something.

That alerted me to overheating when I was having a very similar
situation to yours.  That turned out to be a defective, cheap fan.  It
was BIOS-controlled, but probably just not made well enough to "keep up
with" what the BIOS was wanting it to do.  You might want to just get a
different (hopefully, better) fan, since they're not very expensive.