Re: Trimming down of /var/log/messages

hi ya

make sure cron is running....it already rotates log files
weekly/monthly... at least on the 1u raid5 debian box
i poke around in

if you want to manually rotate your logs....

kill syslogd or sysklogd....than move it aside...
but you must also kill things like the web server
too that logs stuff into /var/log/httpd/ and more stuff to retart

simple silly way...that will always work...
    - mv /var/log /var/log.old ; mkdir /var/log
    - reboot
	- and it should all be cleaned up by itself

- if you want to preserve uptime...."init 1" instead of reboot
  move the files around...than "init 3" or whatever level you want

c ya
alvin