Re: access to /var/log/messages

+ William Jensen <jensenb@charter.net>:

> Therefore is it wise policy to add my user account to the 'root' group?  Would
> that solve the problem while maintaining system security?  Or is there a
> better way of achieving this?  And how would I go about adding myself to the
> root group...modify /etc/group?

As you can see most of the files in /var/log have the permissions for
root and the adm group set.

[ bond : ~ ] ls -l /var/log/messages
-rw-r-----    1 root     adm        105000 Sep  2 01:19 /var/log/messages

Adding a user to the root group is not a good idea. Ok, if it is your
machine at home and you are the only user it could be ok. But I
recommend you to add you to the groups you need access to:

adduser <user> <group>

Groups I belong to are: adm, cdrom, audio, dip and video.

Kai.
--
+ mailto:kai.weber@gmx.net + http://www.tu-ilmenau.de/~bond/