Pine hanging on send

Hi everybody,
	I convinced a friend of mine to recently switch from Red Hat to Debian and she has hit a road block that I am struggling to solve.  She built the pine package using the Debian src and diffs.  Everything seemed to compile OK and all worked well for about a week.  However starting yesterday, when she tries to send an email, Pine hangs for about 30 seconds before sending the message.
	I have checked everything (it seems).  This happens with every message.  The SMTP server she is using (the same as mine) is fine.  We work side by side and I can send at will while she cannot.  I thought maybe that the server was trying to verify who she was and that perhaps her IP address wasn't reversing, but that is not the case.  We have even tried different SMTP servers, all with the same result.  Can anyone give me some pointers here?  Do we need to recompile Pine?
	Oh, this is Pine running on a Thinkpad running Debian 2.2 (installed via the official Debian 2.2 CDs).

Thanks!!
Bryan