lp: driver loaded but no devices found

Hi,

since a few days I'm running kernel 2.4.0test4. Before I used to run test1
and everything was fine.

Now when I want to print I get

  lp: driver loaded but no devices found

and lpq gives

  waiting for lp to become ready (offline ?)

The printer IS of course ready, paper is available, etc.

I'm running the parallel port driver as a module. These are the relevant
parameters from my /etc/modutils directory:

  options parport_pc io=0x378,0x278 irq=7,5
  options lp parport=0,1

I have two parallel ports, LPT1 (lp0) and LPT2 (lp1), with IRQs 7 and 5. On
LPT1 (lp0) I have a DeskJet that I seldomly use, therefore it's switched off
until I use it. On LPT2 (lp1) I have my LaserJet which IS found when the
parport_pc module is loaded:

  parport0: PC-style at 0x378, irq 7 [PCSPP,EPP]
  parport0: cpp_daisy: aa5500ff(88)
  parport0: assign_addrs: aa5500ff(88)
  parport0: cpp_daisy: aa5500ff(88)
  parport0: assign_addrs: aa5500ff(88)
  parport1: PC-style at 0x278, irq 5 [PCSPP,TRISTATE,EPP]
  parport1: cpp_daisy: aa5500ff(98)
  parport1: assign_addrs: aa5500ff(98)
  parport1: Printer, Hewlett-Packard HP LaserJet 5MP
  lp: driver loaded but no devices found

Any idea why I suddenly can't print anymore? I added the above line "options
lp parport=0,1" just now to make sure that an lp device is created for both
parallel ports even tho there isn't a device on lp0 most of the time.

Going back to test1 solved the problem, but this is no real solution. If
there's a bug that crept into test4 it should be solved...

Help?!

Thanks,

Ralf

--
Sign the EU petition against SPAM:          L I N U X       .~.
http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/        The  Choice      /V\