large HDD

Hi,
I'm sure this question has been posted many times. I am trying to configure my new 17Gig
HDD to work with linux/win dual boot. At the present all I want to do is partition the HDD
with linux and get linux to recognise these partitions. It seams that no matter how you
partition using cfdisk, I can only mount the 1st partition on the drive i.e. /dev/hdx1 and
non of the others. I have read the large-HDD-howto, which really identifies the problem and doesn't
tell me how to get around it.

What is the process to setup my large HDD ?

thanks in advance.

Mark Bathie