A strange little kppp error

Debian Potato ( kernel 2.2.16 ) with Slink version KDE.

When I start kppp it displays a message which says that I don't have ppp compiled
into the kernel or loaded as a module which is wrong (I have ppp as a module).

It then starts as normal and goes on to work perfectly!

If I start it as root I don't get this message which makes me wonder if it's a
permissions problem.  If it is I'm damned if I know what or where.

Because it doesn't prevent kppp from working it is really a cosmetic problem but
I find it very irritating.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Barry Samuels