Re: smail says "550 You are not permitted to send mail"

On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 09:39:08AM -0700, Krzys Majewski wrote:

> Sendmail (which is smail, anyway) doesn't work either.

Invoking the sendmail binary gets you the same MTA but it bypasses many
of the checks MTAs perform

> It neither sends the mail nor returns it to the sender like it claims to.

> 09:33:06</usr/sbin>$ sendmail root
> aoeusnaohe

I'm not surprised that failed - what you typed doesn't really
approximate a valid message.  Looking at the bounce that got generated
and moved into the error directory it seems that smail can't figure out
how to deliver to local users (the bounce said that it didn't know
anything about a user root, and the non-delivery of the bounce would
suggest that it couldn't find your user account either.  You'll
probably see some complaints in your mail logs (/var/log/mail.log unless
smail doesn't use syslog).

You should try reconfiguring smail - there's probably a program called
smailconfig in /usr/sbin that will do that for you, or failing that
removoing and reinstalling should do the trick.  If smail doesn't
configure itself I'd try another MTA (exim is the default choice for
recent Debian versions).

[BTW, could you please quote and trim your messages properly?  It makes
them much easier to read.]

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/