Re: can't install kernel/modules from cd-rom

Curt Salada wrote:

> Thanks for your help, John.  Taking your advice, here's what I found:
>
> My 2 hard drives appear in the dmesg list as hda and hdb, floppies as fd0
> and fd1.  The CD-ROM doesn't appear specifically, but I do get the following
> SCSI-related errors in dmesg:
>
> NCR 53c406a: no available ports found
> Failed initialization of WD-7000 SCSI card!

that msg will disappear when you will have compiled your own kernel

> (Transcript of complete dmesg at
> http://americasisp.net/hp/debbie/curt/dmesg.txt)
>
> I saw nothing inside the PC that indicated this was an SCSI CD-ROM.
> Motherboard has 3 cards connected to it:
>
> 1. video board (outputs to monitor)
> 2. interface board(?) has IDE port (connects to HDDs), floppy port, serial
> port, game port, printer port
> 3. "CD-ROM DRIVE 16 BIT I/F CARD" -- goes to CD-ROM (Mitsumi 2x Model
> CRMC-FX0010, dated May '94) -- card also has stereo RCA output jacks

perhaps you need to build the rescue and drivers floppies to load the
module for the CD drive (it seems to be a rather exotic one --- neither
ATAPI nor SCSI ---) from the floppies.

greetings
Albrecht