Re: kernel stuff

Gijs van der Brugge wrote:

|> Firstly, what it says is that i ought to replace kerneld with kmod
|> and a link to information is given. To me this wasn't very clear so
|> i ask your help how to replace kerneld with kmod. Secondly, there
|> are some messages about kernel modules not being able to load,
|> functions that aren't implemented due to not being able to load
|> modules, but modules are just not implemented for my kernel. Any
|> help will be very welcome.

Yes, one of the changes from the 2.0.x series kernels to the 2.2.x
series kernels is in the way modules are loaded when needed. kerneld
has been replaced by default by kmod (how this works and the reasons
for the change are explained in: /kernel-source/Documentation/kmod.txt.

You can disable kerneld by editing the file /etc/modules

It's likely that this file is set up for a 2.0.x series kernel, since
you probably had such a kernel under slink.

The first line is probably `auto' at present.  The entry `auto' causes
kerneld to be started at boot time. The entry `noauto' causes kerneld
to be disabled completely. This is presumably what you want.

You might find that there are other entries in this file. If so, they
could be the source of the error-messages that you're receiving, since
each line is an instruction to load a module at boot time. If you
comment everything out, then no attempt will be made to load any
modules at boot time---again, presumably what you want.

Hope this helps,

Jim

PS I can't CC you, since the From header in your message is dp@dd which
will be interpreted as a (nonexistent) local address if I try to send
to it.