non-contiguous vs Fragmentation

Hello everyone,

This is a question I've had for a while.

I know Linux uses the ext2 filesystem which is supposed to be anti-fragmenting. Once in a while, when I boot up, I get a message saying I have reached maximal mount count and I have to sit and wait a few minutes before I can continue with the boot up. I have recently noticed that, during boot up, I see my hard drive is 9.7 % non - contiguous. I'm not sure what this means.

According to webopedia.com:
fragmentation - Refers to the condition of a disk in which files are divided into pieces scattered around the disk. Fragmentation occurs naturally when you use a disk frequently, creating, deleting, and modifying files. At some point, the operating system needs to store parts of a file in noncontiguous clusters. This is entirely invisible to users, but it can slow down the speed at which data is accessed because the disk drive must search through different parts of the disk to put together a single file.

What then is the difference between non-contiguous and fragmentation? Is one worse than the other? How can my hard drive be 9.7 % non-contiguous if the ext2 filesystem is supposed to be anti-fragmenting?

Is there a way to make my hard drive contiguous again? I thought that there were no linux defragmenters.

Thank you for reading this email, I know it's really long. Well, I'd like to hear your responses.

Andrew