Re: hosts-entry... wtf?!

>My guess is that it's a dummy, "for example" kind of thing.  Oh!  Now
>I see that you changed the previous FQDN.  Besides, it should have been
>commented out if it were.

Yes, "host.domain.com" was the FQDN of the affected host. I saw it and
commented it out immediately.

>Hmmm.  Are you on a LAN?  Or just using ppp?  Or neither?  What do

On a LAN, actually two. One LAN "private", the other is a cable modem.
The affected machine doesn't use any NIS(+) services. But resolv.conf
contains the domain and DNS server of the cable provider.

>base-config when it asked you the networking questions?  And just
>what _was_ that FQDN? (enquiring minds want to know...)

I must admit here that this is a different distro Linux machine. I knew
that I would get good answers here, so I just asked. :)

>I wonder why it doesn't have
>127.0.0.1 localhost loghost loopback lo lo0
>or something like that.

It does, I just didn't show the whole file, but only the strange-looking
line. I was solely interested in why the heck there is an entry for
0.0.0.0?! That's the universal all-matching IP, isn't it? Never seen
such an entry before...

TIA
Sven