Re: mouse gpm/xwindow conflict revisited

David Wright <d.wright@open.ac.uk> wrote on 13/06/2000 (18:33) :

> Here's what caught me out if you're coming from slink to potato.
>
> The old gpm had a -R option which repeated the mouse to
> /dev/gpmdata with the "MouseSystems" protocol, i.e.
>
> Section "Pointer"
>     Protocol    "MouseSystems"
>     Device      "/dev/gpmdata"
>
> The new one has -Rprotocol but defaults to -Rms3 when you install it.
> You need to change it to -Rmsc to make it work with a preexisting
> XF86Config such as above.
>
> When you make this change with gpmconfig, it will tell you that it
> started the gpm server. It doesn't though, because there's already
> one running. You have to do it yourself. Check with ps wax.

It shouldn't be necessary to do all this for gpm to work properly. I
didn't have to any of this under RedHat. And I don't have a odd non
standard mouse.

I think this ought to be looked at before potato is released. Is this
problem registered anywhere or do one have to file a bug report? I'm new
to Debian so I don't know.

--
Preben Randhol -- [randhol@pvv.org] -- <http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/>
         "Det eneste trygge stedet i verden er inne i en fortelling."