Re: Samba and VMWare

"Kelly Corbin" <kcorbin@theiqgroup.com> wrote:

> > > ; Allow several Samba servers on the same machine
> > >   interfaces = eth* 208.46.58.171#/208.46.58.248/255.255.255.0
> > >   bind interfaces only = yes
> >
> > That interfaces line doesn't look right. Is it really like that, or just
the
> > message got mangled?
>
> I added that to test various configurations.  VMWare's web site
> suggested this if you are trying to run both Samba versions (normal and
> theirs).  It doesn't work with or without these lines.

What's the correlation between Samba and your Ethernet interfaces. Is the
"inside" network eth0?

If you're running a "normal" Samba configuration now in a VMware bridged
configuration with eth0 connected to your LAN, Samba should be visible to
both virtual and physical machines. I'm assuming eth0 is assigned to the
physical Ethernet that your LAN is attached to. Is this correct? I'm running
RedHat, but I did get it working on Debian briefly.

> > The biggest problem I've seen is VMware users using a configuration that
> > tells samba to only use vmnet1 ("host-only" interface) and not eth0 when
>
> I uninstalled and reinstalled VMWare and told it I didn't not want to do
> "host-only" networking just to be sure.

OK, that should work fine in a bridged network configuration.

> > I'd work on getting Samba to work with the external "real" machines
first.
> > Then getting a VMware guest to see it is pretty straightforward.
>
> That is what I have tried, but Samba still seems to be blocked.  Using
> tkSMB, I can see myself and my virtual machine (when it is running), but
> none of the other machines in my workgroup.

Ah, OK. Sounds like you've got Samba going, but not to both interfaces. I
assume you're not using ipchains or other "firewalling" setup on your
internal interface. If you're doing bridged networking setups, you do NOT
need samba listening on vmnet1. Having it on both vmnet1 *and* eth0 is fine
though (to support host-only and bridged networking).

> If I try to use smbclient to access other machines, it just tells me
> connection failed.  If I try to access machines that I have manually
> added to lmhosts, it tells me 'connection refused'.  All this indicates
> to me that VMWare somehow blocked all outgoing SMB traffic from Samba,
> but not the virtual machine.
>
> Any ideas on how to track this down?

Other than making sure eth0 is the "bridged" interface to the LAN, it would
be helpful to see the output of ifconfig, netstat -r, and smb.conf. You're
quite close, but I expect there's a Samba-bridged interface issue.

Good luck!

- Bob