Re: esound (woody) broken?

On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 11:46:08AM -0400, Thomas Hood wrote:

> GNOME plays sounds through esd.  If esd is not running,
> and sound is enabled in GNOME, and an app issues a sound, then
> GNOME pauses or hangs up.  So one wants esd to be running.

i don't use gnome, but i edited /etc/esound/esd.conf to add the option
"auto_spawn=1". With this option, libesd will spawn esd when needed.

> I had a problem getting esd running.  After a day of tinkering
> I discovered that the problem was that my loopback device was
> not configured.  The solution was to do "ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1".

When the switch to /etc/network/interfaces was made, for some reason the
line for localhost was commented out. Check that file for more
information. i don't know if this has been fixed in more recent
packages.

--
  finger for GPG public key.