Re: Compiling kernels

Hi Lee!

On Mon, 12 Jun 2000, Lee Elliott wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I need to compile my own kernels to enable SMP and get SCSI support for
> my card so, after consulting the HOWTO and reading some recent postings
> about kernel compiling, what I've been doing is:

Install "fakeroot", "kernel-package", any other dependencies... and be
happy. It's MUCH easier than the non-Debian way you've been enployoing so
far... :-)

> 1.   Rename/move my existing (/usr/src/) kernel-source-x.x.x,
> kernel-headers-x.x.x and linux directories, and
> kernel-source.x.x.x.tar.bz2 file.

Not needed.

> 2.   Rename/move my existing /boot/bzImage and /boot/System.map

Not needed.

> 3.   Install the kernel-source and kernel-headers packages (currently
> 2.2.15-2), creating a new /usr/src/kernel-headers-x.x.x directory and a
> kernel-source-x.x.x.tar.bz2 file

Not needed, unless you want backup copies or something. You don't need the
kernel-headers package either, that's for other uses, not compiling a kernel.

> 4.   Unpack the kernel-source.x.x.x.tar.bz2 using "bzcat kern*.bz2 | tar
> xvf -" to create a new kernel-source-x.x.x directory.

Ok.

> 5.   Copy the new kernel-source-x.x.x directory to a new linux directory
> - /usr/src/linux

Or just symlink linux -> kernel-source-x.x.x

> 6.   cd into /usr/src/linux

Ok.

> 7.   make clean

make-kpkg clean

> 8.   make xconfig

or make menuconfig, or whatever. But ok.

> 9.   make dep
> 10.  make bzImage
> 11.  make modules
> 12.  make modules_install

Nope.

fakeroot make-kpkg --revision=3:local.kernel.version.1.0 kernel_image
fakeroot make-kpkg modules_image

(or something to that effect. Read the /usr/share/doc/kernel-package stuff
to get the right way)

> 13.  Copy /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage to /boot and the DOS
> partition where I use loadlin.

Nope. Just dpkg -i the debs generated by make-kpkg in the /usr/src directory.

> 14.  Copy /usr/src/linux/System.map to /boot/System.map

Not needed.

> This seems to work ok - SMP is enabled and the SCSI controller works -
> but during the load process, immediately after "Calculating module
> dependencies" I get a lot of "insmod *** unresolved symbols in
> lib/modules/x.x.x/misc/abcde messages displayed.  I haven't been able to

This is some crap with the timestamps and limitiations of depmod, I think.
Run depmod -a as root to fix. Or just ignore it.

> Also, I've heard that gcc 2.95 shouldn't be used for compiling kernels -
> I've got both 2.95 and 2.7.2 installed - how do I specify that gcc 2.7.2
> should be used instead of 2.95, which I assume is being used - I can't

Edit the kernel main makefile in /usr/src/linux/Makefile, look for CC=, and
change gcc to gcc272.

  Henrique Holschuh