Re: Shell script reading stdin?

Jim Breton <jamesb-debian@alongtheway.com> wrote:
>On Sat, Jun 10, 2000 at 10:54:32PM -0400, Mike Werner wrote:
>> What I couldn't find was *any* mention of was how to *use* stdin from
>> within a shell script.  Anyone here ever done anything like this?
>

>Yes, but this may or may not be suitable for whatever you're doing.  As
>an example, this would take stdin and pipe it to tr.
>
>#!/bin/sh
>
>cat | tar [A-Z] [a-z]
>

>There are probably better ways (which I'd also be interested in
>knowing).  :)

Well, stdin sort of tends to happen automatically. For instance, this
would also take stdin and pipe it to tr:

  #! /bin/sh
  tr [A-Z] [a-z]

If you need to send stdin straight to a file, then 'cat > filename' is
the easiest way to do it, though; trying to use just '> filename' there
will truncate 'filename' to a zero-length file.