Re: The Thrill of Debian Gnu/Linux

John McBride wrote:
<stuff snipped>
> Actually, I strongly prefer startx, but don't see how to disable gdm
> without breaking helix-gnome -- it seems to require gdm. You can't
> simply edit /etc/inittab like you can on RedHat. apt-get remove gdm
> pulls helix-gnome off the system. I'll review those files.

Actually, what gets removed is task-helix-gnome, which is just a meta-package
that has a Depends line containing the Helix-Gnome stuff.  That can actually
be safely removed.  An alternative is to do (as root):
update-rc.d -f gdm remove

What this does is remove the symlinks in the /etc/rc.x directories, while
leaving the gdm start script in the /etc/init.d directory.  Also, the gdm
package stays installed.  It just doesn't get used unless you explicitly
call it yourself.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD           |  "Where do you want to go today?"
                              |  "As far from Redmond as possible!"
'91 GS500E                    |
Morgantown WV                 |  Only dead fish go with the flow.