Re: starting a script at boot time?

On Sat, Jun 10, 2000 at 07:51:28AM -0700, neutec@debiandomain.com wrote:
> Thanks
> On Sat, Jun 10, 2000 at 02:41:46PM -0700, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> >
> > > man update-rc.d
> >
> > To amplify slightly:
> >
> >   - /etc/init.d is where startup scripts "live".
> >
> >   - The rc?.d directories are where specific init levels find their
> >     kill and start scripts, which are linked to a script in /etc/init.d
> >     Eg:
> >         /etc/rc0.d
> >         /etc/rc1.d
> >         /etc/rc2.d
> >         /etc/rc3.d
> >         /etc/rc4.d
> >         /etc/rc5.d
> >         /etc/rc6.d
> >         /etc/rcS.d
> >
> > update-rc.d is one mechanism for updating rc files.
> >

> Thanks for the help. Real quick question. I want to make fetchmailrc
> run at boot up but the file is in /home/$user. How will I make it start
> at boot up so my system will look for mail ?

<rant degree="mild">
Once quoting order (new follows/leads original material) has been
established, please follow it.  Skipping forward and back in a post is
annoying at best, confusing or misleading at worst.
</rant>

@reboot in a crontab file specifies scripts to run at boottime.

fetchmail is a user-run process, it isn't generally run as root or
systemwide, and can cause problems if it is.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>         http://www.netcom.com/~kmself
  Evangelist, Opensales, Inc.                       http://www.opensales.org