Re: Simple C-includes & BIND questions

Sven Burgener wrote:
> Hello friends
>
> I got Exim working now! Yippie! I'm getting to like debian more
> everyday.
>
> Now, I have an applet that calls some programs on the Linux machine. The
> thing is that I need to compile those with libc6 as they say "Cannot
> load libc5" when I try to start them manually. I used them on an old
> linux distribution before, where libc5 seems to have been installed.
> In the includes of those programs, there are (amongst others) the files
> stdlib.h and strings.h. These aren't anywhere on the system. Which
> package(s) need(s) installing for those to be present?

HAL9000:~$ dpkg -S /usr/include/string.h
libc6-dev: /usr/include/string.h

I believe libc6-dev is what you need to provide those.  Remember, the
lib-whatever packages are the runtime items and the lib-whatever-dev are
needed to compile your own stuff.  I've stumbled over that one *many*
times.  But once you manage to remember that, you're pretty much set.

> Also, I have bind installed. But funnily tho, nslookup doesn't seem to
> be anywhere on the system. Has its name changed or what? I am running
> the latest version of bind on potato.

HAL9000:~$ dpkg -S nslookup
dnsutils: /usr/share/man/man1/nslookup.1.gz
dnsutils: /usr/lib/nslookup.help
dnsutils: /usr/bin/nslookup

nslookup is off in another package - dnsutils
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD           |  "Where do you want to go today?"
                              |  "As far from Redmond as possible!"
'91 GS500E                    |
Morgantown WV                 |  Only dead fish go with the flow.