kernel: grow_inodes: inode-max limit reached

[Running Debian 2.2 (unstable) - with 2.2.16-ow1 (openwall.com security
patch)]

Hello,

 kernel: grow_inodes: inode-max limit reached

It seems no one I've talked to can figure this error out. I'm getting this
error every few days (sometimes every 5 days, sometimes in 3 days). It will
start coming up 1 or 2 times, then 10-20 times, then programs stop loading,
sockets stop opening, machine becomes not useable. I have to use the 'magic
sysrq key' put my drives in RO and reboot. Then the machine is good for a
few more days. This has been happening in every kernel. I have not tried 2.4
yet, but I imagine it may happen there.

Does anyone have any sort of clue what would cause this? I've searched
everywhere, asked many people, and still nothing. Now I'm trying the
experienced people of the Debian mailing lists. Big thank you to anyone who
gives some light to this problem. My linux server is becoming an NT box,
going down every few days.

Thanks

-reid